Monday, August 5, 2013

"Sleep is for September!"

I apologize in advance for the brevity/abundance of mistakes tonight...I promised myself I'd write something every day...but it's almost 4am and the excitement of the past week is starting to catch up to me...


Remember all those tickets we bought at half price yesterday? Today was the day we got to start using them! Our first show of the day was Bedtime Solos, the show that I am working with, located in a beautiful theater in Assembly Roxy. It is the story of two people exploring the isolation felt even when close to others.

Straight from Roxy we ran (literally) to Just the Tonic at the Caves to see The Curse of Elizabeth Faulkner. This was the first traditional play with a classic plot structure that we had seen, and the venue was one of the coolest I've been in. As soon as you walk in the door, you are escorted up a large staircase covered in Christmas lights leading to an rock cave-looking area draped to form a venue. The show was creepy, funny, and overall a great atmosphere.

We had about an hour after the show so we stopped in a place called The Pie Maker where we chose from over 50 different meat, veggie and sweet fillings. Delicious!!

From there we went to Fringe Central for another workshop. Today's topic was how to get your show seen by the right people. There was a lot of overlap between today's lecture and the marketing promotion lecture, but different panelists bring different experiences so there is always something new to learn.

After the workshop we had about a half hour to grab something for dinner at the flat before heading off to the Assembly George Square venue (right across the street!!) to see a two-man comedy/drama version of Six Wives of Henry VIII. Definitely one of the funniest shows I've seen, and once again the Assembly venues are all very, very nice.

Next was Fright or Flight, an amazing Australian acrobatic/physical theater show.  Located in Assembly Roxy's downstairs theater, the show had a subtle plot investigating the fight or flight response through movement. At first we were very, very confused as to what we had gotten ourselves into, but the three girls were very talented and the overall performance was very cool.

And last but most certainly not least was Take it Interns, a musical comedy performance about life as the unwanted group of interns in a marketing agency. I've never been the type of person to show much emotion during shows, but this show was so well done that I literally I could not stop laughing the entire time! The cast is a group of university students, so we spoke to them after the performance and are looking forward to meeting again at the Fringe University student networking event later this week.

Very excited for another big day of shows tomorrow!!

Early evening on High Street


No comments:

Post a Comment