Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Summerhall Circuit

Last night Emily and I spent quite a bit of time at Summerhall finding shows to see on our passes. We started with Sonica Presents Robbie Thomson's Ecstatic Arc, a sound and light show that combines music, lights and mechanical choreography to create an insanely trippy show. Because we entered on stand-by, we sat on the floor in the front on little red cushions. Though not the most comfortable, it was cool because we could feel the floor shake as the sound echoed throughout the room.

Next up was Feral. It wasn't at all what we were expecting. At all. Honestly I'm still kinda...okay really confused. I was expecting something along the lines of Genie or Victor of Aveyron but instead it was an entire town made out of paper and displayed through video cameras on a large screen above the table in the demonstration room. Though it takes a fair amount of talent to pull off the video effects used throughout the "show" it dragged on a bit and I wasn't really able to get over my expectations.

In the courtyard there is a blue shipping crate with an audio-visual-theatrical installation. I know that's a lot of ways to try to describe something, but it was definitely the most relaxing "show" we've been to. When you walk in you're asked to leave your shoes and coats inside the door and proceed around the corner to a white tent hanging from the ceiling. Though we managed to pile six of us inside, the tent comfortably allows four to lie down. Once everyone stops fidgeting, the lights go out and the show begins. You are supposed to keep your eyes shut as the lights in the tent change and music elicits different "daydreams" but the first time I went through I kept my eyes open. The cool thing about it being at Summerhall is that as long as there's no line we can do it over and over trying new things each time.

After Daydream we attempted to get into Anatomy of a Piano, but unfortunately it sold out and were turned away. Not to worry though, Emily and I went to play on the huge awesome Meadows playground instead. European playgrounds are dangerous! Seriously though, never have I seen a zip line without a harness or a net about 8 feet in the air with holes big enough for someone my size to fall through.


Today we had class at 10 in the 4th floor lounge in Summerhall. After class we met with Kevin from the San Fransisco Fringe who explained his story and how/why he started the San Francisco Fringe. The conversation turned into more of a "what do you want to do with your life" interrogation...but that's pretty much how every conversation with anyone ever ends up so nothing new there. 

The meeting ran over so we had to grab taxis to get across town to the Carlton Hotel in time for the Fringe Society Annual Meeting. As if we didn't already know we were walking into an important meeting, that feeling was solidified by the coffee/tea/cookie/pastry table set up for before the meeting. I learned a lot about the inner workings of the society and the core values that certain board members felt were beginning to slip through the cracks. As per Scottish tradition there was free beer after the meeting. I still think that's extremely weird, but the fact that it was 2pm didn't stop the guy in the front row from sprinting to the back to be sure he got his fair share.

We went back to the flat to make lunch, and then Sam, Ali, Julie and I went to Assembly Checkpoint to see [Title of Show]. It's a good think I didn't bank on getting in with the pass because it was totally sold out. I had never seen the show so I really enjoyed it!

And then tonight we went over to Athena's for some classy wine, chocolate, tea, and whatever else we could find. Apparently Teetee fell again today. Poor kid can't seem to catch a break. She and Ali should be friends for life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment